Saturday, September 6, 2008

The Fleet is Launched...

I decided a few months back that I wanted to do something more with my life. I recalled the director of Patricia and Philippe's orphanage saying, "Parents in Haiti would rather their children have shoes than food." In a country where people are indeed starving and 1 of 4 children die before the age of 10, this is a truly profound statement. That was it...I would collect SHOES. We decided to call our endeavor the Flip Flop Fleet. We will work with the contacts we have in Haiti to start with, but not end with. We are willing to work with any country in need!

We are still getting things together. We want to have non-profit status. We have a website reserved. But here is what we do know. We already have a board of directors in place. We have a logo nearly finished.

We have a minimum goal of FIFTY Flip Flop Friends (in FIFTY cities) and FIFTY Flip Flop Fans.


The definition of a Flip Flop Friend is:
1) Someone who is willing to gather a minimum of 50 pairs of flip flops or sandals over the course of a year. One of our board members recently purchased 25 pair for .49 each. You could throw a party and ask all of your guests to bring a pair. However you choose to get your flip flops is up to you.

2) You do not ship your Flips to me. First of all, we don't want to waste unnecessary shipping expenses. Second, we don't have the space :). Third, one of our goals is to work with churches to coordinate missions trips with shoe delivery. For example, a group that is going to the Phillipines may be willing to take some Flips with them to deliver to the village(s) they are traveling to serve.

The definition of a Flip Flop Fan is:
1) Someone who makes occasional monetary or shoe donations.
2) Someone who is willing to commit to pray for this ministry.

We are open to ideas so please leave a comment or contact us via email at flipflopfleet@gmail.com with suggestions. Also, please email me to let me know if you would like to sign up as a Flip Flop Fleet Friend or Fan.

Here are the Friends we have so far:
The Flynn Family - Boulder City (Las Vegas), Nevada
Denise Runde - Omaha, NE
Chuck Hujet - Appleton/Green Bay, WI
Nichole Cheeney - Phoenix, AZ
Holly Kindbom - Denver, CO
Mindy Fitzgerald - Houston, TX


Don't let it stop you if someone from your city or state is already a Friend. We all need more Friends! :)

I am so excited! It is a great time of year to get Flips on clearance - won't you consider making a purchase or two?

14 comments:

Kathy Cassel said...

Funny. This is what we do each fall--buy a ton of sandals/flip flops on sale and take them on our next trip to the O. When possible, I hand them out to the kids myself because sometimes things go to the storage area when they are really needed on the kids' feet!

Vivian M said...

Could you advise what sizes of flip flops to buy?

linda said...

Great idea, guys. I just wonder though why the people who commit to pray are relegated to "fan" status when they are even more than your "friends"---they are your warriors?

Christy said...

I just bought three pairs for you today before I got your email about this blog. I always check the clearance aisles anyway!

Dawn S. said...

To Linda,

I guess I didn't look at it that prayer warriors were "relegated" to be fans. It was simply that fans don't have to commit to gathering 50 pairs of shoes. I tried to contact you directly but you have no blog or email contact info. If you have a better suggestion we are open to ideas.

Denise said...

I'm sooo excited to start collecting SHOES!!!! Wonderful idea :)

Jennifer said...

Ya know, having 6 boys/men in the house have made me not so fond of shoes.. lol.. This gives new meaning to something we really take for granted... Thanks for being creative, loving you.. Love, Jennifer

Carlee said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jennifer said...

I want to be a FLIP FLOP FRIEND! Great Idea. I will start my search for flip flops now!!!

Jen

Katy said...

Fantastic idea!! I will be a fan!! =) I may up my status to a friend later depending on my $ situation or success at finding shoes.... ;)

CG said...

Definitely put me down as a fan for now, please!

angela said...

i would love to be a fan! this is an excellent idea! way to be proactive!!

Holly Kindbom said...

Yeah....I have approx 120 pair. Target said they would be marking theirs down to 75% off this week....I will stop in and check it out. If you tell them (the store mgrs) that you are purchasing to send to orphanages, as Dawn did, they may give you an even better deal.

Charity said...

Please count me in as a Flip Flop Friend here in the KC metro area! I live in Lenexa, KS. I've always wanted to adopt, but it looks as though that's not going to be... but this is a wonderful way to make a difference in the life of these sweet little Haitians (and other) lives. Thanks for the opportunity! Many blessings - and let me know what I need to do!

Charity White